Monday 20 August 2012

Appliance Adventures and Internal Images

Dona Super Market - where prices vary day by day
Off the top, I do have every intention of cooking regularly in the near future.  Given our nightly sojourns to western-style restaurants (our orientation leaders' preferences), I've been happily living on a huge meal per day.  I would like to say that it's my attempt to observe Ramadan ... but there are a few other issues at play. I haven't yet found any large grocery stores in the area closer than شارع 9 (sharra tissa or road 9) which is a 20 minute walk away.  There is a limited selection at my local store (which I just happened to spy yesterday on the way to the Grand Mall), but my bargaining skills require further development before I become a regular customer here.

If only I knew what you wanted yesterday
So, having completed my shopping trip yesterday, I figured it was time to enjoy the fruits of my labour.  I had pasta or rice waiting for me along with my left-over chicken fajitas from the night before.  I figured I could just wash a plate, a pot and some cutlery and look out culinary world (ok, perhaps desperation bachelor sustenance).  Bravely, I approached the stove, turned on the gas and pressed the little button on the left hand side and ... no spark / no flame.  Well, there was a combination lighter / bottle opener hanging on the wall so I figured I'd give that a try ... no spark / no flame.  I could use the two emergency wood matches I found in a bottom drawer, but I'll save those for a moment of ultimate desperation and continue my fasting lifestyle for another day or two.  At least I got the majority of my dishes washed today.  I've already added a sink stopper to my to buy list as the plastic lid I used as a substitute resulted in me using far more Fairy dish soap than I wanted.  In the interrim, I have found Arzak el Qawther to satisfy all of my dinner needs.  I can't wait to try their Kushari tonight on the way home.  Egyptian fast food really is a dream come true - last night's beef Shawarma was fantastic.

Don't let the floral cover fool you
To add to my day off bravery, I attempted laundry.  After all, how tough could it be to operate something as friendly sounding as an "Extra Super 800 ES 180" washing machine.  Well, I quickly learned that the Extra 800 referred to the mg of acetaminophen required to cope with the frustration of trying to use it.  Part of the joys of figuring this out was the 60 second delay between turning it on and having it actually do something.  So I'd try a setting, wait for 30 seconds, and then try something else.  Also, please note those "buttons" underneath the detergent holder ... within 15 minutes I figured out that those were just images of what the washer might be doing if it got to that number on the far right dial.  Given the age of the washer, my 15 minutes of internet searches resulted in nothing.  Somewhere along the way, I realized that the water needed to be turned on at the back.  Oh, and the two cups of laundry soap recommended by the detergent manufacturer is about 3x what is required - imagine my excitement when I saw foam galore during my first load.  And the final joy ... the door handle doesn't seem to work.  Pull the door handle and nothing happens.  At least I remembered the screwdriver that had previously resided in the basket on top of the washing machine which allowed me to actually open the doors.  Well, the whites are white, and the darks are dark ... and after 7 hours they're starting to get dry.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the apartment.  I'm not sure how I'm going to use bedroom #2 and the half bathroom, but I can't complain about the space.  In no specific order ...

Above:  Between the number of wires hanging around, the proximity of the building next door and my acrophobia ... the clothes might dry faster out here but it's never going to happen on this 1.5 m x 6 m balcony.

Right:  The entrance way to my apartment.  It doesn't quite feel like home yet, but it's going to be an easy sight to get used to






The part of the L-shaped living room that I don't use (yet).  The couch may be more comfy and the dining table is right behind ... and likely I'll be enjoying this part more in the future (since the air conditioner is just to the left).







This is my usual sitting area.  I'm not quite sure why I gravitated to this spot (likely it has something to do with the TV being on the left and my Wii getting attached to it sometime in the future.













Finally, my main bedroom.  The entrance to the balcony of despair can be seen on the left.




No comments:

Post a Comment